DJ – Lenoir : International African Mix Vol 1 (GetMziki Exclusive **)

Creative courtesy of GetMziki

If you’ve lived in the Bay Area (Northern California normally just San Francisco/Oakland area) for a while, then you’ve probably heard or seen DJ Lenoir. I really cant say much about Lenoir as a DJ because I moved to Oakland just when he was kind of winding down his DJ career to focus on other businesses he had. However I can talk about being in the Bay about 5 years ago and going to all these Dancehall parties that he sorta had pioneered around the community with another DJ called TOKS. The first time I met Lenoir I told him, dude you need to make these African Mixtapes, no one was taking advantage of the fact that all these Junguz were loving these Congolese, Angolan, Cote Dvoire songs. Lenoir slept on this for over 4 years to come up with this Street attack that I find not only unique but a massive statement to the potential of African music in the local US communities.

One thing most people don’t know is Oakland/San Francisco is probably one of the most diverse cities to live in. Honestly on any Friday or Saturday night you can go to a club called BAOBAB in San Francisco and the club will be packed with Junguz jumping and puffing to Lingala and Coupe de Cale. Anyway not to bore you with how cool my city is, the reality really is that I strongly believe African Urban and alternative music will take the US scene by storm in the not so near future. Its just a matter of time. African artists and African entertainment industry insiders are slowly but surely getting their shit together – and soon you will be going to a DELA concert in NYC, a SAUTI SOL, a KAYSHA concert… It happens in San Francisco and NYC right now more frequently than not.

So When Lenoir came knocking (a native of Congo DRC) I had to open up the door and open it up wide. Mostly because I respect the work he has put into the community in the past with my boy Louis, and also mostly coz I think he understands African sound slightly better than many other DJs I hang out with. This mix is not about the skill and or versatility. A lot of Kenyan DJs compile mixtapes to showcase their DJ-capabilities. I think there comes a point in time where the Mix should be about the music and about the sound or flow. Lenoir could definitely have done with a little less of the the sound effects (too much dancehall DJying can throw you off Len) but overall I think maybe its just a new style – and possibly a new way to get people here to appreciate all these new eclectic sounds.

And for that I designed his CD cover for fun πŸ™‚ I started with the version on top and ended up with this one here:

Enjoy the mix below:

ps. If you have sent us a mix in the last few months please send a track list our new policy insists that you furnish a tracklist to make it easy on our users to find tracks through the site. We eventually will link tracks with your tracklist for people who want to download the singles.

Track List:

18.FIONA-KAYSHA
19.JE SAIS QUI ELLE EST- KAYSHA
20.ASSOCIE’-FALLY-IPUPA

listen to International Mix Vol 1 here:

download the mix here:

[Right Click here and hit save TARGET AS]

11 Responses to “DJ – Lenoir : International African Mix Vol 1 (GetMziki Exclusive **)”

1. kenyangal says:

Ok, I now have a serious headache. What’s up with the unnecessary noise. The Dj has taken a bunch of beautiful music and messed them up. Its literary painful listening to that mixtape, and that’s not a lie.

2. Locom says:

I cosign..too much sound FX.Also,Kenyan artists are noticeably missing. Nameless?Jua?Nonini?etc. Good music tho
    check out this Facebook app that let’s you rep your mtaa:

3. gati says:

ya i kno, i mean now wen u say african mix, u shud encompass music from all ends jamani…dnt get me wrong i love this mix!!! and am greatful for it, but alot of TZ bongo, Kwaito songs, bangin Ethio songs not to mention other countries are missing, am just sayin…

4. Leo Faya says:

Honestly I am yet to hear a DJ who plays all this collectively and just sounds fresh… Thats why am always locked to DJ Edu on DNA mix. I cant lie I learn so much from listening to that show. But most of our own DJs just skew to their own Genre and their own ethnic fusion inspired tracks…

5. Dru says:

Almost solid selection of music but as many have said… too much unnecessary noise!! And plus the mixes don’t flow in properly… try a more ‘seamless’ mixx rather than a chop and play approach. Good effort though

6. Dru says:

I am tempted to re-do this mixx with the same tracks to prove my point, plus do it the way I think it should have been done. Who should I send the mix to?

7. Get Mziki says:

By all means Dru dont let me or anyone here stop you πŸ™‚

8. feel good dj says:

i dont want to go hard, but the mix has forced me!! lenoir needs to chill in retirement! he has comeback on a sorry note!! i aint no pro, but i know i would have done a much better job!!keep your ears open, feel good dj, comin soon!!!

9. Emprrah says:

this mix fuckin sucks.. da songs are wonderful but de mix is trash.. dis isgarbage… da blending is lame .. off.. and some songs are played really short and sum are played till so long till it gets annoying. 10 thumbs down

10. pato says:

too much effects that are even louder than the music whats that?

11. Dj Mpenzi says:

The greatness of all DJ’s is to try and make music, play music & love music to the best of their ability, A mixtape does not always relay the message of how talented a DJ is because I have listened to mixes that were dope but when I heard the DJ live and he was horrid!! because most folks use music editing software to fix their mixes!!! with that said there is always room for improvement on how you compile a mix and the effects you add. African music has it’s own distinct sound that need to be heard and not covered up with effects and I agree when you call a mix African well you have to touch majority of the countries whose music reaches most sides of the continent, but I have know LENOIR as a DJ since 2000 and he is an OG in the bay area!! and thus deserves the respect for he opened doors for folks like me!!!