Sauti Sold – Range Rover

I’ve been out for a while, it sucks that the first post I make after getting back is a bashment of my one of my favorite bands. Honestly after I sampled this new album midflight I realized the first thing I have to do when I land is to exasperated my emotions. Truly I am embarassed and disappointed to say I was a SAUTI SOL fan. I felt like I could relate to the group, I felt like they represented a movement, a sound, a story. I felt the partnership they had with Wawesh at the time was probably the best thing since M-PESA.

But this Monday when I sample and listened to this track, I honestly just lost every inch of love I had for SAUTI SOL. Please understand I OWN the first EP in its entirety hard copy. But you cant tell me these are the same guys who made Lazizi and Blue Uniform? I actually refuse to accept that they have evolved and grown into this…

Seriously guys – RANGE ROVER!!! Really?

As an avid fan and follower of your music, please rationalize to me what you guys have been working on, tell me I am dreaming. Because after watching this video I am probably more upset than I am disappointed.

Watch RANGE ROVER here:

Just incase you forgot who SAUTI SOL were:

And for kicks Blue Uniform one of my best tracks:

Anyway maybe am over reacting but honestly please bring back my band – please bring back the sound and the culture and the essence of African music back home. If this is what growth and maturity in music is all about then I think we are doomed. Shelve that album.

Sincerely..

Sauti Sol #1 Fan

7 Responses to “Sauti Sold – Range Rover”

1. Nimo says:

Meeen, Sauti sol and that Range rover song- I’m truly disgusted that my fav Kenyan band has come to this. Surely whoever advised them on this one jus tainted them vibaya. I looks like they were doing an ad for the car. Seriously after “I’m coming home” I expected something that would blow my mind but all this has done is leave a bad taste in my mouth.
    Sauti sol please “come home” as far your music is concerned…..if that makes any sense.

2. Philip Roy says:

Sometimes you have to do what you have to…to make international impact.One has to put into consideration how this new EP was produced and who produced it.Then one has to look at the target audience Sauti Sol is trying to get to.After all they can always do all this new stuff to gain a broader audience and always bounce back to basics for their original fans….

And they are not the first to do this…just ask The Black Eyed Peas and Knaan…who are laughing all the way to the bank right now….

• masaki says:

Thats not being a progressive artisti…..its being an artistic-whore. This crap is not even international by standard, thier basic was more international. Well, every one has a price….but thiers seems to be Steroids.

• Maich says:

music is all about adapting…youve reacted to one song…buy the EP and have a listen. i love the track personally…another coming home song would be another coming home song! then people would say they are not growing…see?

3. Far Away says:

OMG I thought I was the only one who hated this track. One vice I can take (super skinny jeans on dudes) but two is asking a bit much of your fans when you put out this kind of ‘music’. Is it even music? They have totally lost their ‘soul’ with this new direction. One of our other Kenyan treasures Just A Band just launched their new album, hopefully it’s just as good as the first two.

4. tish says:

I thought I was listening to matasia girl. “you! you! you!

5. […] last time we featured Sauti Sol on the site was with their track “Range Rover”. While other media sites while going ham on the record and playing the “we love” it […]